I wanted to post the information that Brian Payne collected about computer support. Here is the text of his email.
I met today with the EWS manager and the assistant dean (not sure of the title here, but which ever "dean" oversees IT issues for the campus). I showed them our current computer lab as well as updated them on our future plans for the collaboratory. Joe Zalabak, the EWS manager was helpful and supportive and even pledged 4 former EWS computers to our lab.
He explained that they're 3 years old, but were top of the line when purchased. This would not include monitors, software, or maintenance all which we would still need to look into. The assistant dean had also expressed that as we move forward we should inform the CEE department head. Specifically as energy use is a big issue for departments, purchasing computers, refrigerators and other equipments would impact this (we can argue it'll be positive as we get more efficient computers and replace all the mini fridges with a big one!).
Lastly, I've got requests out to CITES and the ECE IT folks about info regarding maintenance of the collaboratory and will keep you all informed on what I hear back.
Joe had asked our timeline and I'd told him that we'd be on the ball if we we're ready for his computers by the end of the semester. So, I think it's time to start pricing monitors and furniture!
Cheers,
Brian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Calendar
Misc. Items
Thank you card/plaque/inscribed brick for the EES Faculty to go in the lab....
No comments:
Post a Comment